Visit these helpful blogs: Choosing the perfect light fixture for your home
7 Things to Consider When Buying A Home
8 Tips To Secure Your Home & Belongings
- Leave a light on outside when you know you’ll be returning after dark. It will provide you with the light you need to find your keys and enter your home safely, plus you’ll be able to see where you’re stepping and you won’t trip.
- Keep valuable items out of sight of windows and doors. Small items, such as keys, wallets and electronics, are tempting and a quick steal. Keep them tucked away in a drawer or closet.
- Reinforce sliding doors with a wood or metal rod to prevent anyone from forcing the door open or knocking it off the track.
- Put inside lights on a timer so your home always looks like there is activity in it. If you’re going to be away for more than a day, ask your neighbour to collect newspapers and flyers from your mailbox. Mail build-up is a dead giveaway that no one has been home for a while.
- Always put locks on your shed and garage, especially if the entrance is tucked out of sight. Secluded entrances give thieves privacy to do their “work” and force themselves into your property.
- Trim bushes and trees by entrances. Overgrown greens make for good hiding places and cover thieves at work.
- Don’t stash your spare keys around your home. Keep a spare key with a trusted neighbour. Keep track of your spare keys, and if one goes missing, change your locks.
- Be sure to check your smoke and CO detectors on a regular basis. Check for battery replacements, ad for detector expiry dates.